Monday, September 10, 2012

T.V. Viewers, I Have Arrived! (Okay, my CLIENT has arrived)

I recently had my first experience in T.V.! Okay, so I wasn't on T.V., but my client was and I booked the spot so this is still very exciting for me. What's most important about this is that I was able to learn more about my wonderful field-- namely, the fact that before embarking on my T.V. experience, I had no idea how much work actually went into arranging a couple of 3 minute segments. After shedding countless amounts of blood, sweat and tears (not really, but you get the point) my client received some awesome coverage and I felt pretty great about the work I'd accomplished.

The first step in my arduous road to Television was tracking down a producer for this particular morning show. Typically this can be a nightmare, but luckily I happened to pitch my client to the right producer at the right time. After dangling the possibility of a local celebrity coming to the show for a segment or two, the long, long process of negotiating times, working around schedules and getting the right story line began. About a month later, a date and time to shoot the segments were set, and my client and I were on our way to what would be a first time experience for both of us.

Following the booking, I set up a media training day for my client. Basically, we (Bitner/Hennessy) remind the client to smile, act natural, and stick to the major talking points. My boss came with me for this, as I didn't have the experience to tell someone what they should and shouldn't be doing on camera, but I caught on fairly quickly.

Finally, the big day arrived. I don't think I've ever been so awake at 6 a.m. (big thanks to Starbucks for the help with this.) Everyone at the studio, from the intern who saw us to the Green Room to the security guard who greeted us to the anchor who interviewed my client, was so friendly and made the entire experience that much more enjoyable.

The set where my client was interviewed was very calm and intimate. The only equipment in the room was one couch, a couple lights and two cameras. The interview went smoothly, and the anchor was warm and very professional.

For the second segment, we walked over to the main studio where the entire morning show crew, from weatherman to anchors, were seated. I got to watch a solid hour of the news, making sure to take in how everyone conducted their respective jobs. I kept feeling like I was behind-the-scenes on some tour, and had to repeatedly remind myself that I was very much apart of this world now. 

As the cameras turned off, I couldn't help but allow myself a mini moment of self satisfaction. And even though I was quickly brought back to reality by the pain of standing in 5 inch heels for close to 2 hours behind the camera and not in front of it, I was still reminded why I love doing what I do. The excitement of helping a business achieve a certain level of  recognition through your own efforts is truly rewarding.

Once again, this wonderful industry didn't disappoint, and I was left with a new accomplishment to add to my resume and to my memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment