Friday, August 31, 2012

TWEET Your Heart Out, Mitt Romney (and Clint Eastwood)

I typically try to avoid discussing politics with most people (mainly because I am a diehard liberal and am easily angered by conservative opinions) but this election season has given me reason to talk about politics on a whole new level.

The presidential candidates are taking the battle for the White House all the way to the social media scene this election--and I LOVE it.

Considering a good portion of my job depends on the success of social media as a marketing tool, it makes me slightly giddy when I see two men who are competing for the most powerful position in the world relying so heavily on social media in their campaign efforts.

There have been countless articles written about whether or not certain politicians --ahem, MITT ROMNEY-- have fake Twitter followers  or which presidential candidate has the better social media strategy. Most recently, the Twitterverse exploded in response to a certain celebrity's rather inventive (or delusional) fake conversation with Obama at the Republican National Convention.

According to this article from Mashable, after Clint Eastwood berated a metaphoric Obama by directing questions to an empty chair, Obama's camp responded by Tweeting a picture of the president sitting in a chair marked "The President". The Tweet simply read: "This seat's taken." The Twitterverse has even spawned clever Twitter handles such as @clintsemptychair and @invisibleobama in response to the not-so-clever and bizarre tirade by Mr. Eastwood.

I'll admit, I'm a [a lot] biased when it comes to politics, but even if I didn't LOVE my president as much as I do, I would still be thrilled with the fantastic role social media is playing in this election. Twitter and Facebook are making this election interactive by allowing voters a chance to really connect with each other and with the candidates. 

Taking into consideration Obama's 19 million Twitter followers verses Romney's 987,000 followers, all I have to say is: TWEET your heart out, Romney!

No comments:

Post a Comment