Wednesday, October 10, 2012

5 Things I've Learned in My 5 Months On The Job


It's October, which means I have officially been at my PR job for 5 months! I know this may not seem like a very long time, but it has flown by for me.

Just 6 months ago, I was a recent college grad who was terrified of never finding a job in my field. In honor of the fact that I did find a job (and love it), I would like to share with you 5 things I've learned over the last  5 months.

  1. Always, Always, Always Be Respectful: This applies to every single professional you encounter. Over the last 5 months, I have met a few people I may not necessarily ever want to interact with outside of a professional setting. Despite my distaste for these people, I am always careful to treat them with just as much respect as I do with my boss or my other colleagues. In PR, you never know when you're going to need a contact, so be nice to everyone. 
  2. PR Opportunities Are Everywhere: One of the things I love about this field is that marketing efforts are everywhere This means that opportunities to gain exposure for clients are also everywhere. I don't think I'll ever passively read a newspaper or magazine again. I am constantly scanning the pages of publications to find any upcoming opportunities to act on. If you're a young PR professional like myself, remember to keep your eyes peeled for PR opportunities at all times.
  3. Be Willing to Go the Extra Mile: When it comes to work, there are certain tasks you know you must get done in a given work day. What most people don't focus on are the tasks that you don't have to do, but will better you or your company in the long run if you do them anyway. These tasks can be as simple as attending networking functions after work or staying  for a half an hour longer at the end of the day to wrap up a discussion with your boss. Making more of an effort than is required on the job will always pay off.
  4. Don't Be Afraid to Ask Questions: I'll admit, when I first started my job I was determined to look like I knew exactly what I was doing. But guess what? No one knows exactly what they're doing all the time. Over time I've learned that it's O.K. to ask for a little more clarification on an assignment. It's better to ask for further direction than to complete a task incorrectly.
  5. Learn From Everything You Do: Whether you've made a mistake or you've used a tactic that was a huge success, learn from everything you do. If the way you wrote that monthly report was totally wrong, make sure you don't write it the same way next time. If you landed your client a huge media placement in a certain publication, make sure you use the same strategy for approaching other media outlets. No matter what the experience may be, learn from it and apply what you've learned to future tasks.

The 5 months I've spent working in PR have been both rewarding and challenging. I've had some amazing opportunities, and it's comforting to know that I've picked the right career path for me. Here's to the next 5 months and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment