Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Lesson in Disappointment-- And Optimism

Today I learned my first hard lesson in PR.

A particular client that I have worked extremely hard for over the last six months has decided that he is unsure whether or not he wants to continue his contract with us at the beginning of next year.

Obviously, this has been a huge blow to me. I've put in countless hours writing press releases, searching for new media to pitch to, organizing blogger review visits and taking a virtually non-existent Facebook following and earning 1,000 + new "likes" for this client. I usually try to let things roll off my back, but this one really stings.

Earlier today, I was expressing my angst and obvious disappointment to my boss when she reminded me of one very minute, yet very important, detail: This is just a downfall to the business we're in.

As my boss explained to me, a lot of people don't quite understand what PR professionals actually do. There is a common misconception among marketing professionals that Public Relations can be accomplished by anyone who has access to a media data base and is a decent writer. In reality, PR is so much more than being able to send a few emails. It requires constant creativity, coming up with new angles that will get media interested and conducting an array of day-to-day tasks that keep clients happy.

Although this setback has had a slight affect on me (only because I put so much care and effort into what I do), I have decided to face my disappointment head-on. We may retain this client, we may not. At least I know I've done everything in my power to keep the client happy.  

You know what they say: "That's show business."


No comments:

Post a Comment